In order to study in Australia you need to full fill the following requirements before you apply to study in Australia:
English language requirements
In many cases, you need to provide results of an English language test. Also, keep in mind that the English language skill level required by an institution can be different from the level of skill required for your student visa application. So, carefully check student visa information on both the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) website and the institution (you want to apply)website for any English language requirements.
The academic requirements (along with an evidence of English language skills) you need to study in Australia varies depending on the level of education you want to study. Institutions can have different entry requirements, so read the course information on their website carefully.
Here is some general guidance on entry requirements for the different levels of study:
- English language – Entry requirements vary between institutions, and according to the level of English language course you want to study.
- Schools – Entry requirements vary between schools depending on the state or territory you will be studying in. Academic performance and ability are considered during the application process.
- Vocational education and training – In most cases there are no entrance exams for VET institutions. However, some courses may have specific pre-requisite subjects or work experience requirements.
- Higher Education Undergraduate – To gain entry into an Australian undergraduate course you will need to have an Australian Senior Secondary Certificate of Education (Year 12) or the overseas equivalent. Some undergraduate courses may also have specific pre-requisite subjects.
- Higher Education Postgraduate – As well as the satisfactory completion of at least one degree at the undergraduate level, your institution may take research ability or relevant work experience into consideration.
The student visa you need depends on your chosen course of study. As a guide, the typical key requirements you will need to meet are:
- Issued an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) certificate.
- Meet the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement. Read more about this on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection(opens in a new window) website.
- Sufficient funds for airfares, course fees and living costs.
- English language proficiency.
- Meet health and character requirements.
- Acceptable Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).
Overseas Student Health Cover
Australia has a very special system of health cover for the international students also known as Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).
- It will help you pay for the medical or hospital care you may need while you’re studying in Australia.
- It will also contribute towards the cost of most prescription medicines and an ambulance in an emergency.
When studying in Australia, you will need OSHC for yourself, and any of the family member travelling with you. It is a requirement of your student visa that you maintain OSHC for the duration of your time on a student visa in Australia.