Invitation to Apply

ITA (Invitation to Apply) is also known as eAPR (electronic Application for Permanent Residence). It is the final step of the Express Entry program and the application provides the documents that support the details listed in candidate’s initial Express Entry profile.

How to Get an Invitation to Apply (ITA)?

One has to submit an Express Entry profile in order to obtain an ITA. Once the profile is submitted, the applicant enters into a pool of candidates and is ranked on the basis of a merit-based points system called the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS).

Candidates ranking higher receive an ITA and then asked to submit an electronic Application for Permanent Residence (eAPR). In case the eAPR gets approved successfully, the applicant (and the dependent family members, if included) is granted Canada permanent residence.

What Happens After Getting an Invitation to Apply (ITA)?

After receiving an ITA, the applicant is given 90 days to prepare and submit an electronic Application for Permanent Residence (eAPR) in Canada. This application is submitted through the IRCC online web portal and the applicant is asked to scan and submit copies of all required documents.

According to IRCC, nearly 80% of eAPRs are processed within six months from the date of submission. If an application is approved, the applicant (and members included in the application) is issued visa that allows him/her to travel to a Canadian Port of Entry (POE) in to obtain his/her official permanent resident documents! After becoming a Canadian permanent resident, individuals should make sure they educate themselves on the PR requirements in order to stay eligible to renew their permanent residence card or apply for Canadian citizenship in future.

What Documents are Needed for eAPR?

The documents of qualifications claimed in the Express Entry profile must be furnished along with the proof that the applicant is not inadmissible to Canada. If the applicant is not able to provide a requested document, he/she must provide a letter of explanation outlining why it cannot be obtained. Alternatives must be arranged, if possible. One can use services of a Canadian immigration attorney to explain to the visa office as to why the documents are not as requested, if any. Important: The submitted documents must be in English or French. If not, the same must be translated by a certified translator.

Here’s a list of documents that need to be submitted.



A copy of the passport (biographical data page) of the main applicant and accompanying family members.

Birth Certificates

Birth certificate of everyone included in the application or a document that confirms the details of date of birth and at least one of parent’s names. A letter of explanation is required if not providing official birth certificate. Adoption certificates are required for adopted children, if any.

Marital Status

Single (never married): No documents required to prove single status in most of the cases.

  • Married: Marriage certificate required
  • Common-law/Conjugal: Evidence of a genuine relationship
  • Divorced: Divorce certificate for each divorce the applicant has had
  • Widowed: Marriage and death certificate


Though IRCC may already have access to the test results, there are times the IRCC may request a copy of the language test results. However, it should be included with the application. The same must be done for spouse.


Proof of work experience mentioned on Express Entry profile. One may provide the following for this:
-    Reference letters, should include following:
o    Job title
o    Salary
o    The average hours/week worked
o    A detailed list of employment duties
o    The dates of employment
-    Electronic copies of employment contracts and a sample of payslips (if possible)
Reference letters will be required from every employer in the last 10 years.
If one has claimed Canadian work experience, following must be provided:
-    T4 tax information slips
-    Notice of Assessment and Option C printouts from CRA
-    A copy of work permit/employment authorization


-    Copies of certificates, diplomas or degrees for each completed program of post-secondary study one has claimed points for
-    Copies of transcripts for each completed secondary and post-secondary program
-    An original Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report
-    If one has claimed Canadian educational credentials, he/she must provide proof of successful completion of the program


The applicant will need to prove that he/she has sufficient funds to support their relocation to Canada. Below are the funds that may be required, depending upon the family size (accompanying members). It is referred to as settlement fees and is waived off in case the applicant has an arranged employment offer.

Number of Family Members Funds Required
1 $12,960
2 $16,135
3 $19,836
4 $24,083
5 $27,315
6 $30,806
7 $34,299
For Each Additional Family Member $3,492


The applicant will need to provide the electronic copies of confirmation of medical examination.


The applicant and the accompanying family members will need to provide police clearance certificates from every country they have resided in (for six months or more since attaining age of 18). The certificates are valid for 12 months and must be provided within 90 days from receiving the ITA to submit the application. Therefore, one should get the certificates accordingly.


Two (2) digital photographs of main applicant along with spouse/partner and each dependent child must be provided.


-    Principal Applicant: $1325
-    Spouse: $1325
-    Dependent Children: $225/child


In case the applicant has claimed points for a provincial nomination, he/she will need to provide a copy of the nomination.


If the applicant has claimed points for a relative in Canada, the following must be provided:

-    Proof of Canadian citizenship/permanent resident status for the relative
-    Proof that the relative is residing in Canada. This may include utility bills, Canadian tax documents or banking records
-    Proof of familial relationship with the relative in Canada


A job offer is not required; however, if the applicant has claimed a valid job offer from a Canadian employer in his/her profile, the applicant will need to prove the offer to be legitimate. The following documents can be provided:

  • A letter from the employer offering the job in Canada. It should be printed on the company letterhead and must include applicant’s name, the company’s contact information along with name, title, and signature of the applicant’s immediate supervisor. It must also contain the expected start date, job title, duties and responsibilities, number of work hours per week, and annual salary plus benefits. The letter must also mention that the applicant will be employed on a continuous, paid, full-time basis for at least one year after the issuance of permanent residence.
  • The associated LMIA number, if applicable.

How Long Does it Take to Receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA)?

IRCC issues draws for Express Entry applicants on a regular basis. The candidates who rank high can expect an ITA within a few weeks or within 6 months. If the applicant doesn’t receive an ITA, he/she can work towards boosting the CRS score by either retaking language tests or looking into provincial nomination programs. It should be noted that the candidate’s profile remains active in the Express Entry pool for 12 months, after which it may be resubmitted.

What is the Cost of Submitting an eAPR?

The cost of submitting an eAPR may depend on the factors like applicant’s family size, the number of countries they have lived in, if their documents need to be translated, etc. Here’s an overview of prices.
-    Principal Applicant: $1325
-    Spouse: $1325
-    Dependent Children: $225/child
-    Biometrics: $85/person
-    Medical Examination Fees (average cost): $450/adult & $250/child
-    Police Clearance Certificates (average cost): $100/country


Regional District of Employment

Regional District of Employment


Stikine, Central Coast, Northern Rockies, Mount Waddington, Skeena-Queen Charlotte, Powell River, Sunshine Coast, Kootenay-Boundary, Alberni-Clayoquot


Kitimat-Stikine, Bulkley-Nechako, Squamish-Lillooet, Strathcona, Columbia-Shuswap, East Kootenay


Peace River, Comox Valley, Cariboo, Central Kootenay


Okanagan-Similkameen, Cowichan Valley, North Okanagan, Fraser-Fort George


Thompson-Nicola, Nanaimo, Central Okanagan


Capital, Fraser Valley


Greater Vancouver


Maximum Score Available